Monday, September 27, 2004

Super Size Me

Went to see 'Super Size Me' in the cinema and along with reading 'Fast Food Nation' it has all just lifted the sunglasses from my eyes in relation to food. I mean its scarey what goes on in the process of meat in America and I think it has made me not so much want to give it up but know excactly where the meat I eat comes from.....so I am resolved to find a Belfast Butchers and use them from now on. The usual supermarket shopping is a product of laziness as is visiting the fast food companies.....it is just a mindless process and i'm not sure I'm ready to sit back and allow it to happen anymore. But, as with all these things i am likely to just keep it up for a few months and then decide that I might need to go back to the original methods.......Anyway, i'm going to buy Sausages (snags) and have mashed potatoes with them tonight.....just for starters!

Mc Donalds have a website dedicated to the countering of the supersize me film and it is quite tame actually just blandly re-inforcing the lack of effort it puts into worrying about what people think.

Going to bed last night i put on Radio 5 Live and listened to a similar debate raging about Mars decision to take the King Size version of the Mars Bar of the shelves due to growing public fears on health. The thoughts within Mars believed that the King Size version was excessive and there was no need for it, it just encouraged overeating. The reaction of the general public phoning in was quite surprising...most dissapointed that their favourite chocolate bar was now smaller and shouting about the disgrace of Mars taking away the consumers freedom of choice.

I think the same argument can be made about Mc Donalds, we don't have to eat their food but with more education about the harm it can do like through this film, then we can make an educated decision. Taking away fast food wouldn't solve the problem, but teaching us what is in the food will!

6 comments:

Colin Dardis said...

Why don't people just buy two normal sized Mars Bars then? Nothing stopping them doing that...

Anonymous said...

Another blow to using our own brains... much like the adverts showing some bloke rubbing his nose in work, eating a sandwich and predicting he dies a grisly death.. Now we arent allowed to decide if we want to drink vodka in a bag, mixed shorts, eat a supersized meal, eat a extra large mars bar...

Maybe the government could outlaw any form of activity that could directly or indirectly result in death.

Here's some more pleasures you can look forward to forgetting:

Driving
Flying
Leaving the house
Watching TV in excess
Posting to weblogs

Anonymous said...

oh yeah... I'm Owen by the way!

Ruairi said...

Its a bit crazy, I think the government should just quit making these 7 point plans and things....and just have a bit of common sense! More exercise, less computer games and television for the kids would stop them from looking like Vanessa Felz.....Stopping a few chocolate bars that most kids don't really like in comparison to sweets isn't going to help! I remember eating crisps, cola cubes and sweet drinks everyday at primary school and my weight never ballooned cause I ran around all the time and never sat still! Its exercise that changes things not banning chocolate!

Anonymous said...

I'd agree with that.

Really, outlawing bars aint gonna do much - as colon said - you can eat 2 bars instead of one!

Helping parents with guidelines for what their kids can eat is 1 step.

We all have to accept some social responsibility.

By outlawing things, the government are actually reducing our ability to think for ourselves and take responsibility.

I am fat = It must be the guy who made the burgers fault
I am crippled with loans = It must be the fact that the ability to get a loan is easy
I jumped under a bus and got killed = It is Scania's fault because they built the bus.

The government can teach us to live healthier, we must accept that it is our choice to follow what we are taught and if we ignore it - it is our responsibility.

But if they simply ban things, the default mentality will be to let the government do the thinking. If it is legal, it is ok and we will live to the letter of the law. The government is responsible for me, my actions and their consequences... if it is legal it is their fault something went wrong.... NOT a good model.

/OT

Ruairi said...

I Had a King size (they call it a 'big') snickers bar which was wonderful! I felt like I had broken the law or something as I allowed the whole chocolate bar to consume me whole! The peanuts playing with the caramel and creating swirls!